December 11, 2016

The Road to Our 15K

So, I ran a 15K this weekend. I know, I am amazed and confused, too. How did this happen? I am not a runner. I am not even someone who likes exercise (unless it means I can eat more brownies!) How did I end up running over 9 miles?!?!?!?!

Two confessions: First, the last year and a half is a little fuzzy for me so I don't really have all the details. Second, Kevin asked me for over 10 years to go running with him and never once did I say yes. I regret that now. I don't love running, but I do enjoy the fellowship that I have with it. How much more would I have enjoyed that with the love of my life? I was being so selfish. I wish that I had the chance to ask for his forgiveness now for not seeing the treasure I could have had in running with him.

I didn't start running until last May. I had just returned from our separation from Kevin and he had just returned from rehab. I needed some time with other ladies and I needed some exercise. Three precious ladies were already meeting regularly to do the Couch 2 5K training and they graciously allowed me to join them. They were already 2 or 3 weeks in when I joined them. We were not running much at first, but it felt like torture every time. It felt like there was no possible way we'd (or at least I) would ever be able to run a mile, let alone a 5K!

We trained all summer and ran our first 5K in late August. And the Lord, in His wisdom and sweetness, led us to a race that would benefit women in rehab. Perfect for what we were going through in our lives at that point!

We've since run two 10K races and just finished a 15K. Now that I have finished that, a half marathon isn't such a crazy idea! But, for now, I am ready for a long run to be a 5K again! Maybe one day I'll reach for that half marathon.  Here are some pictures of the journey (in no real order):































No comments:

Post a Comment