December 30, 2015

Goodbye 2015, Hello 2016

I don't think I've ever been more happy to say goodbye to a year than I am right now. I am ready for 2015 to be a thing of the past. I'm not so sure I am ready for 2016, but 2015 has felt like a long, hard winter and I am ready for spring! I still feel pretty numb-passionless and directionless-but I pray that 2016 will bring the thaw my heart so desperately needs. Andrew Peterson's song The Rain Keeps Falling is pretty much a perfect description of what 2015 was like for our family. The phrase "I'm dying to live but I'm learning to wait..." is a perfect description of the last year. It's been hard, lonely, scary, confusing, eye opening, full of tears, and a reminder of what the true Church is really supposed to be. There were times when I just wanted to pick up and move and never look back (Hawaii would be nice, right!?!?) There were times when I could barely breathe through the tears and pain. Thankfully, there were more times when I felt the arms of God around me through the smiles, love, food, gifts, and encouragement of my brothers and sisters in Christ who truly understand that the only way to live this Christian life is to love God and love others. And they loved our family well. They continue to love our family well.

For about the last month I have been reading and praying through the Psalms. This morning as I was reading the Lord gave me a prayer for our household for 2016. It's found in Psalm 90:12-17:

Teach us to number our days,

    that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

Relent, Lord! How long will it be?

    Have compassion on your servants.
 
Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love,
    that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
 
Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us,
    for as many years as we have seen trouble.
 
May your deeds be shown to your servants,
    your splendor to their children.

May the favor[a] of the Lord our God rest on us;

    establish the work of our hands for us—
    yes, establish the work of our hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment