June 27, 2014

My Lighthouse



Not sure if you have heard THIS SONG or not, but Sophie and I cannot stop singing it! The tune is so catchy, and the words are good, too. A rare find, at times.

But, I have to admit, when I first heard it, I kind of wrote it off. I was thinking, "It would be nice if we were always led safe to shore, but we aren't. What false hope."

Then, God reminded me that we will always end up safe on the shore if we allow Him to truly be Lord and Master. If we truly follow where He leads. It's just that our "shore" and His "shore" may not be the same place. Of course, studying the Israelites recently, as they were led through the Red Sea, safely to the shore on the other side, had me turning to this song again and I can't get enough. I read something in those verses in Exodus about the Red Sea that I don't ever remember reading before. It seriously took my breath away when I read it. Then I wanted to jump up and down to exclaim the amazingness (is that a word) of this almighty God (but it was at the public pool during swimming lessons, so I restrained myself!) Exodus 14:19-20 says: "Then the angel of God, who had been traveling in front of Israel’s army, withdrew and went behind them. The pillar of cloud also moved from in front and stood behind them, coming between the armies of Egypt and Israel. Throughout the night the cloud brought darkness to the one side and light to the other side; so neither went near the other all night long." Did you catch that? Darkness to one side and light to the other. At the same time. And this kept His people alive and put His enemies right where they needed to be when He put the waters back where they belonged. Mind.Blown.

God also reminded me of a time when He was the "peace in my troubled sea." (Which has helped me a lot in the last few months being in the midst of another troubled sea.  I am so grateful for Psalm 89:9, aren't you?!?!)  Kevin and I were still dating, but I was working at a large church in Plano, TX and he was still a student at HLG (that's right, there was no U at the time).  During our first summer apart (we'd been dating about 4 months, but I already knew he was "the one"...not so sure he knew, yet, though) Kevin was asked to join a mission team and spend a month in Uganda.  I knew the moment he mentioned the trip that he was supposed to go.  Not one single doubt.  Then, shortly before he left, I began to worry about his safety.  Uganda is not a very safe place and he was going to be working with some of the worst people in the country.  I began to pray very fervently that God would bring him keep him safe and bring him home.  The most clearly I've every heard God in my life, His response to me was, "I will keep him safe, but that doesn't mean that I'll bring him home."  I was speechless, but completely at peace.  I knew in that moment all I had was trust that God loved Kevin more than I did, knew most what he needed, and would care for him as only God could.  All I could do was rest and trust in God's hand.  I'll be honest, I did not expect Kevin to come home.  I honestly thought that the phone call to talk to him before he boarded the plane would be the last time we ever spoke.  I was truly prepared to never see him alive again.  And it was OK.  I was totally at peace.  God was the peace in that crazy, swirling sea.  Of course, Kevin did return.  When he called from London on his way home I seriously about peed my pants because I was totally not expecting to ever hear his voice again!  God is good!  God is true and faithful.  But we must be prepared for His shore to be different than our shore.  Are we willing to still follow His light through the storm, even if we land somewhere we weren't expecting?  I am reminded of something Beth Moore said in her Daniel study.  Sometimes He spares us from the fire, sometimes He delivers us in spite of the fire, sometimes he uses the fire to take us home.  He may be leading you to Africa, Romania, Canada, across the street, to the city slums, or to Heaven's gates.  Seek His light.  Follow where He leads.  Trust and obey.  "You rule the raging of the sea; when it's waves rise You still them." Amen!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment