October 10, 2013

Lessons Learned While Eating Less

Well, I've been fasting from lunch and snacks for a little over a week now, along with drinking only water (though each Sunday is a feast day where all fasting is suspended), and here are a few things I've learned/realized:

--I snack way more than I ever realized.
--Without all the extra sugar from all the snacks I am not eating, I am way more tired! 
--I really haven't missed lunch as much as I thought I would...until about 3:00 p.m. when I am "starving" and dinner is still at least 2 hours away.
--Leftovers aren't as bad as my mind makes me think they are.
--It's really not as hard as I thought it would be to drink only water...but it sure does increase the amount of trips to the bathroom in a day.  I also really take the easy access I have to clean water for granted.  I do not see it as the gift that it truly is...like ever.
--The hardest time of day not to snack is 9 p.m.
--As I have been looking around trying to decide where to give money to help feed others and provide clean water I realize just how many people are working to do both of these things.  There is plenty to go around, it's just that those of us with excess need to wake up and start sharing!
--I am grumpy when I am hungry.  I am grumpy when I am tired.  There have been some very unpleasant days for all of us!
--I am so much more blessed than I deserve.  I have no idea why God placed me here, with plenty of food, clean water, air conditioning, heat, clothes, etc, and not somewhere else to be stuck in poverty and a slave to someone just so I can feed my children.  I need to drop to my knees in praise and gratitude each day just for this alone, not to mention all the other reasons He deserves my praise and gratitude.  Lord, change me forever through this fast.  Move my heart to do big things for those in need because they are Your creation, You love them, and You have commanded that I love and care for them.  Don't let my motivation be good feelings or pats on the back from others, let my motivation be love for you and the things You love.  Let my children see this in me and let it transform their minds and hearts.  Somehow help this to cause them to see their need for you to be their Lord, Master, and Savior. Use our family to share Your love to those in need and those who are hurting, both here and around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment