August 20, 2013

A Fleeting Glance

Thanks to some friends, we got a hand-me-down swing set shortly before we left for vacation.  This week is really the first time they've been able to use it...and they have loved it!  And it has been great for me.  It's a great break between lessons (not that we've done a full-blown day of school, yet) and gets out some of the energy.

Today as they were playing, I glanced out the window and Sophie was sitting there on the swing singing to herself.  I have no idea what she was singing, I could just see her lips moving.  It transported me back 27 years to 1986.  That was the year I lost my two best friends when their house burnt down and they didn't make it out.  I was devastated and just didn't know what to do.  I spent almost every moment with Georgie and Chantel and they were suddenly gone.  So, I would go sit on the swing almost every afternoon, look up at the sky to find a hole in the clouds, and talk to my two best friends all afternoon.  I shared everything with them that way.  In fact, I am pretty sure they were the first people I told about being saved, sitting right there in that swing, looking up at the clouds.  That was a sweet memory today.

No comments:

Post a Comment