March 17, 2013

Lent-Week 5

I know, I am posting early, but....I will be leaving town for 6 days Tuesday morning and I have lots of cleaning and packing to do between now and then, so I thought I would go ahead and post.  Week 6 might be lacking in content because I will not have the laptop with me to keep doing the journal, but I'll do my best!

Day 29:
Today was such an off day for me.  I had a terrible time falling asleep last night, so I think I ended up with only about 3 or 4 hours of sleep.  This always makes me feel a little sick and very grumpy.  It was a long day with two kids who were full of ornery!  Good thing the weather was nicer and they were able to spend about an hour outside this afternoon.  All three of us wouldn’t have survived otherwise!!!  But, I did get everything printed and sorted and ready for Kevin and his mom to do school next week…I think…I hope…well, I got done all that’s going to get done, anyway!

Did another chapter in my Sabbath study today.  It was a great reminder that God is my provider, even during the Sabbath times of no work (Exodus 16:1-30).  Lord, help me to release the busyness for one day a week so that I can focus on You and all that You give and provide.  Help me to set aside the worries and cares of day-to-day life in order to worship and praise You as a family.  I am so looking forward to having days of Sabbath in May.  This is the one fast that I want to keep, in some form, from here on out.  Lord, show me how to truly keep a Sabbath, fasting from the world and it’s busyness, so that I (and my family) can focus on You and this gift of family You have given us!
Day 30:
What a day!!!!  So, Sophie and I had quite the science lesson today.  A few days ago she was flipping through her science book and next thing I know she’s asking me, “Hey mom!  What’s egg and sperm?”  I told her it was something we would be talking about soon, but not today.  Well, while Ethan was in the bath today, we talked about it.  We started by reading Psalm 139 together and talking about how God was our creator and He knows everything about us.  We talked about how God makes each one of us special and He made the process of making a baby very intricate and unique and special.  Then we talked about how what we were about to discuss is very personal and private.  It isn’t something we talk about with other kids or adults right now, only with mom and dad (I don’t want her to be the kid spilling the beans to everyone she sees!)  Then we opened the science book and got started.  I quickly and briefly went over the names for body parts (which was made a little easier by the fact that she has a brother and has known since he was born that boys and girls are different) and that men have sperm and women have eggs.  It takes the two coming together to make a baby.  She was curious as to how the two get together but, thanks to wisdom from Mandy Taylor, I was able to answer her by saying, “That is something very special and you are not old enough to know that right now.  But, we will be learning about that in the next few years.” When we were done I asked if she had any questions, which she didn’t, then we prayed and thanked God for creating us and for the amazing process that happens to make a baby.  Then she just ran off to play as if nothing happened!  It went really well and was pretty painless.  I got this book for us to start doing together this summer (The Care and Keeping of You for Younger Girls), so I showed her that and she’s eager to get started!  Here are some other great books that I’ve read recently about talking to your daughter about the changes that will happen to her body and teaching her modesty: (Six Ways to Keep the Little in Your Girl, 8 Great Dates for Moms and Daughters, Secret Keeper:The Delicate Power of Modesty). 
Day 31:
God was so good to me today!  I woke up with a terrible sinus headache.  I took a little medicine, and while it didn’t completely go away, it did dull enough to carry on my day.  I was able to spend almost two hours with a sweet friend and her kiddos before heading off to our homeschool classes.  I teach the youngest music class (crazy, huh?) and God provided some nice, quite fun for us today.  It wasn’t until after class that I really started feeling sick.  And it only got worse.  Nausea.  Muscle cramps. Stomach cramps.  Yuck!  Kevin was out of town working, so the kids got some quality What’s in the Bible? time.  I am just thankful that I didn’t get sick until after my class was over today.  God, thank You for Your goodness in even the small things!
Day 32:
After about midnight the nausea finally went away, but the stomach cramps were lingering.  I slept most of the morning (so thankful that the hubby took the kids to grandma’s for a bit) and after lunch felt much, much better!  We headed to Quincy this evening to take the kids to Scotty’s for some family fun (another great idea of Kevin’s, especially since I’ll be heading out in a few days and will be gone just a little less than a week).  As I was there watching our kids have such a blast, from the ball pit, to the slides, to the silly games, I couldn’t help but feel so sad for those who never get to experience this, either because they don’t have families or because there are just no resources available for them to do such things.  I am so thankful for these opportunities we’ve been given to help out in Romania and Haiti (and looking forward to some for Africa and China, as well).  I was really proud of the kids when they, without a fuss or second thought, willingly chose to use their tickets to get prizes for our shoe boxes for this year.  I so pray that God is changing their hearts, even if it seems to be going too slowly for me, to be more like His.  Lord, change my heart, too!
Follow Me
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment