February 19, 2013

Lent-Week 1

So, I started a journal to document this crazy Lent journey I am on this year and thought I would share a few things from it.  Now, it's much longer than what you'll see here...think of what's here as the highlights!  I'm also trying to keep a list of things I have done with my non-facebook time that fulfill Is. 58.  The purpose of this is two-fold: 1) to keep me accountable to doing it in the first place and 2) to encourage me that, small as it may be, I am doing things to fulfill Is. 58.  As I've gone through this first week I realized that I kept thinking of the moments of my day as Facebook statuses.  (Sign of illness, probably!)  So, for fun, I thought I would let you know how it's going through what my facebook statuses might have been during these 40 days.

Day 1:
Logged off for last time last night for at least 40 days.  Eyes full of tears, lump in throat.  Kinda felt like I was finally part of a series finale and saying goodbye to a dear friend!

Studied Greek gods/godesses today....had a great time talking about the One, True God and all the amazing things He does.

Can't help with Loaves and Fishes this week, so we baked cookies for them instead.  Learned that natural vanilla and natural sugar do affect the taste of the cookie...it's not bad, but it's different!

Day 2:
Crazy busy day full of friends and family. 

Helped sweet friends who moved 6 months ago get their house here all painted to sell.

Met family in town to watch niece play basketball.

Lord, thank You that I only had to be a high schooler once.  Please show me how to raise Sophie so she's not "that" girl!

Thank you for dinner with the fam at Country Kitchen that brought great college memories to mind.  I am so blessed!  My cup runneth over!!!

Day 3:
Sophie is sick.  Being home all day makes it much harder not to be on Facebook!

Great day of movies, books, laundry, and cleaning with the kids today!  Lord, thanks for providing a reminder of my true calling and ministry to make disciples of my kids.

Thanks for letting us provide a meal to a family with a new baby today.

Kale chips.  Not good.  Not bad.  Good for you.  No match for chocolate.

Day 4:
Why yes, I do get the worst mother of the year award today.  Totally un.mo.ti.vated!

Can't sleep when Kevin's gone.  Can barely keep my eyes open today.  Lord, thanks for Phil Vischer and his awesome show "What's in the Bible".  All three of us learned a lot today. (E is even walking around asking, "Do you know Ezra and Nehemiah?")

Lord, thanks for the reminder of the amazing gift of life as we celebrate the 1st birthday of one miracle girl and provide dinner for the parents of a 3 week-old miracle girl.  You are amazing!

I hate taxes.  I hate doing them.  I hate paying them.  I hate no longer getting refunds.  But, Lord, I am so thankful You have provided a job for my husband that allows us to do what you have called us to do.

Day 5:
Great talk with Sophie today about the verses from the sermon.  Lord, thank You for the book of James.

Ethan said the cutest thing today.  Of course, I didn't write it down so I don't remember it.

Lord, thank You for the amazing co-workers in children's choir.  Mr. Doug is just awesome and Megan and Taylor do so well with those kiddos!!!  What a blessing.

Lunch with good friends who live far away. #1000gifts

Celebrating the life of a sweet friend who has moved away...how sweet!

Lord, thank You for great friends, both near and far.

Day 6:
So.tired.  Ready for Kevin to be home so I can sleep and think straight!

You know what I love to do with my kids?  Puzzles.  And they are both so good at them.

Met the Hirtzel twins today.  Lord, thank You for the gift of life, even when it's so small.

Had to say goodbye to some sweet friends tonight.  Saying goodbye doesn't get any easier as you get older, you just have to learn to cry more quietly.

Not sure there's any pain worse than watching your daughter's heart break as she weeps because she has to say goodbye to one of her first friends.  Not looking forward to all the future heartbreak over all the things that will break her heart in the future.

Almost posted a pic from instagram to facebook without even thinking about it.  Sometimes I still get confused when I look at my phone and the facebook app isn't there.  Old habits die hard!

Have I said yet that I am ready for Kevin to be home?!?!  ;)

Pretty sure that KFC mashed potatoes and gravy can temporarily soothe any grieving soul.

Took dinner to sweet friends.  The goodbye was no fun.

Day 7:
E is learning the 10 Commandments this week.  He was trying to remember them on his own...here's his version of the second commandment: "Do not make for yourself adultery."  He was little confused, but I guess it's still true!

Sophie got an early b-day present from Maryssa last night...it's a ballerina tutu...guess what she wore all day today?  And no, we weren't in the house all day.  Love that girl!

So ready for Kevin to be home.  I don't think I even realized how much accountability he gives me.  I need him home!

Started reading Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in Your Girl by Dannah Gresh today.  I'm only like 2 chapters in and I LOVE IT!  Every parent should read it!

Last night's dinner was a fabulous lunch today!

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain, girl! I chucked Facebook AND Twitter--I never realized how often I try to squeeze moments of my day into 140 characters or less!

    And I am also blogging to keep myself sane. ;)

    ReplyDelete