November 08, 2012

James: Phase 1

I just finished Beth Moore's Bible Study on the book of James.  Uuuummmmmmm.........WOW!  It was so good and I was not ready for it to end!  During our last class I really felt like the next thing our family needed to memorize, as a family, is the book of James.  So much of it refers back to things stated in The Sermon on the Mount (which Sophie and I are memorizing now), so I thought it would be a good follow-up.  Also, I feel like learning these verses will also challenge, encourage, and teach all of us what it truly means to live out our faith.  I also felt like this was something we really could use, not only as memorization, but also as our family devotions.  Kevin agreed that could be very helpful, so I got started on the project. 

So far, only "Phase 1" (though I have no idea how many "phases" there are) is done, but I am anxious to get to work on the rest, as well.  What is Phase 1, you ask? Well, I have made the cards we will use to memorize the book.  It will take a full 52 weeks, but that's learning (usually) only 2-3 verses a week.  My next "phase" is to come up with something practical/hands on that goes with each set of verses we will do each week.  Yep, that's right, we'll basically be doing 52 service projects next year...OK, they may not all be service projects...some may be things we do internally to prepare our hearts or lives, some may just be things we do in our home, but I am thinking there will be several service projects (both within our community and beyond our town, as well).  If you know me, the most challenging part of that is doing things within my community!  For some reason, it's so much harder for me to do ministry with/for those I know I will be seeing on a daily basis.  Anyway, then "Phase 3" will be Kevin and I sitting down and digging into James.  Of course, this is a little unfair because I just finished the James study, but I'm willing to share my information so he doesn't have to do all the work.  ;)  There may be more phases later, but so far that is where I feel we've been led (and Kevin didn't argue so I assume that means he's on board!) 

Now, I know that things I create aren't nearly as in depth as anything Beth Moore or, well, anyone really, would put out...and when it comes to layout and design, I am not nearly as creative as everyone seems to think I am...but...I look forward to posting each "phase" here as I get them so that you can join us in our journey (OK, not really join us, but take a journey of your own!)  I won't be offended if you think this is the dumbest thing you've ever heard of and don't want to do it.  I won't be offended if you take some of what I have and change it to fit your family's need.  If you take on this challenge, I would love to hear how your family does it and how it goes!

So, here is "Phase 1":James Memory Verse Cards  I would suggest printing them out on card stock, hole punching one corner, then getting a metal ring or clip to hold them together.  But, feel free to use them however you wish!  I did my best to spell check, etc, but I am sure there are still some mistakes somewhere, because there always is!  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment