November 03, 2011

Fun Things Happening in the McSmith Household!

Ok, before you get too excited, I have to confess....the better title for this post would probably be "Randomness", but since I use that a lot, I decided I needed a different title!  So, though there will be no pregnancy proclamations or potty training stories, there will be some small insights into life in our house!

--Well, my birthday has come and gone.  Though, technically, I am a year older, I don't feel it at all.  (Though I must admit that the brain is no longer working the way it used to, but I am told that this is, unfortunately, normal!)  We had a great time celebrating with my family over by Columbia at a huuuuuuuuge corn maze.  It was fun to see everyone again!
--I have so enjoyed this month of Family Quest at church!  I wish that everyone had this available for their families, it has been such a blessing to ours!  I have been amazed to see how much scripture Sophie has been able to memorize and how easily it comes to her (just further proof that you need to teach them while they are young!)  This month we have been looking at the 10 plagues and Passover.  Seriously, there must be some hidden part of me that is Jewish or something because I am so drawn to the Jewish festivals, particularly Passover, and the way they shout that Jesus is the messiah!  One of the rotations this month was a shortened version of a Passover Seder meal.  I could barely read the script because, from the very start, I couldn't stop crying.  The picture that meal paints of all our Lord has done for us was just too overwhelming for me.  It was all I could do to hold it together!  I look forward to being able to share this meal (in some form) with my kids in the future.
--I have been so amazed at all Ethan has learned to do in the last few weeks.  Somewhere along the way, while Sophie and I were doing school, he learned his shapes and numbers (though for some reason he refuses to say the number 7...maybe because 7 "ate" 9?!?!  JK!)  He can say Psalm 119:11 all on his own (singing the Lincoln Brewster song to him every day while we brushed his teeth really paid off!) and there are two or three more verses that he is really close to being able to say on his own.  His thought process has become much more developed, as well.  He's like a little boy now!  Where did the time go?!?!?!
--I am so proud of how well Sophie is doing in school.  Don't get me wrong, we have our days where I just want to strangle her because she refuses to move at my pace, but God has given us both lots of grace and mercy on those days and we're both still alive!  We've finished her Social Studies curriculum for the year already, so we'll be spending the rest of this semester praying for and learning about different people groups around the world.   Next semester we'll start in learning about the 50 states.  Her memory just blows me away!!!!!  I mean, I gotta say, back in the day I had a pretty good memory, but hers is even better than mine ever was!
--I am so looking forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I cannot wait to see and spend some down time with family!  Both places will be pretty crowded with kids, but both also very full of love!  I am so thankful for the families that God has given us.  We truly are blessed beyond belief!
--I cannot express how thankful I am for the husband God has given me!  He is such a hard worker and a gentle soul all at once.  I love to watch him have a tea party with Sophie or explain to her a Bible story.  I love watching him race cars with Ethan and try his best to keep him interested in Bible time.  I love that he can fix my vacuum, computer, TV, phone, kitchen, and pretty much anything else that needs to be fixed!  I love that he prays daily for the salvation of our children.  I know that I am not always the help mate that he needs or deserves, but I am thankful the Lord allows me to get up each day and try to do better than the day before!
--I have really been enjoying the sermon series Bro. Jeff and Father's Heart have been presenting these past few weeks.  What eye openers!  Do I live out James 1:27?  Do I use all that God has given me to impact the kingdom?  Am I so concerned about what God is doing in my life, that I don't care what he's doing anywhere else (oh yes I did just drop a line from Good Sam, thank you Matt Tullos!)?  What do I choose to spend my time and money on?  What am I teaching my children with the ways I choose to spend my time and money?  Do I allow God to use compassion to stir me to action, or am I satisfied just to feel compassionate and leave it there?  Lord, more than anything, I want you to use me!  Use me at home to model your love, compassion, grace, and mercy to my husband and children.  Use me to teach my children that You are more than enough.  Use me to teach my children that trusting in You is what gets me through each day, good or bad.  Use me to lead my children to Your throne and into relationship with you.  Use me to encourage my husband as a father and as an ambassador for You.  Use me in my neighborhood, church, and community to shout Your name and declare Your praise...whether that means prayer walking, baking cookies, sharing my home, spending my money on someone other than my family, or just being a listening ear and quoting scripture.  Use me, Lord, use me!

No comments:

Post a Comment