September 04, 2011

A little of this, a little of that...and lots of gifts in between

Well, August is over.  How is that even possible?  Time has really flown by this year!!  Of course, I am pretty sure I say that every year...every month...every week...every day!

We've finished just a little over three weeks of school and logged a little over 100 hours.  Most days have gone pretty well, but we've had a few rough spots.  Every now and then Ethan decides that he need to have whatever it is Sophie is trying to do and Sophie decides she needs to do whatever it is Ethan is doing.  It's in those moments I try and take a deep breath, set the timer for 5 minutes, and let them fun free until the timer the goes off!  Overall, though, it's been a great experience and I am so glad that we were obedient, despite some doubt on our part (ok, mostly my part).  I will admit, it has greatly increased my prayer life, for me, my kids, and for all those working so hard to serve Christ in the public school system.  In those rough moments when there is no obedience, I thank God I only have one and pray for those who have a whole classroom of that everyday!  God has truly gifted you and called you to a very difficult task!  I'll be praying for you!

Sophie did her first Venn diagram this week.  We started reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and we are comparing the book to the movie.  She is really enjoying that.  Pretty sure it's her favorite movie and she can hardly let me get the sentences out before pointing out how the book doesn't match the movie on a certain point.  I am amazed at how smart she is and how much smarter she gets every day.  I know it's not from her teacher, but just the way God is molding and shaping her. 

Last week we started giving her the Tab each morning so she could listen to one chapter of the Bible each day.  She wants to do that before she does anything else in the morning, though it may have more to do with getting to use the Tab than reading the Bible, but I am clinging to the truth that God's word will not return void!  She gets 5 or so minutes each morning, in her room alone, and listens to a chapter (we started her in John), then she comes out and we talk about what she "read".  Can't wait until she can read well enough to read it on her own. 

I am also amazed at all that Ethan has started doing in the last 2 or 3 weeks.  His speech is now so clear and you can just see the wheels turning in that little head.  He can count to 10 and do his ABC's to "G" (when he feels like it, of course).  He has enjoyed learning sign language, though again, he'll only do it when he feels like it.  "Red" is his fave sign so far.  He's doing really well learning shapes.  I can't help but laugh, though, because any time he sees a shape he doesn't know, he just says it's an octagon.  Why he chose that of all shapes, I don't know, but it's cute!  It's also so cute that he'll sit at the table with us doing school and repeat everything I say to Sophie, or repeat all the letters as she is spelling a word or something.  I hope they both always enjoy learning as much as they seem to now!

That's already a pretty long list of gifts, but I'll share a few more from the last week:

--days spent as a family
--evenings with nothing on the calendar
--trips to the lake with sweet friends
--time to step away when I'm frustrated
--Redbox
--popcorn
--watching Sophie as she listens to the Bible
--sweet smiles from Ethan when he wakes up in the morning
--watching God provide for dear friends as they continue to place their trust in Him
--seeing God's hand move in so many areas at our church
--reading books snuggled up on the couch with the kiddos
--trips to the library
--a car full of children
--having hope in eternal life when things on earth don't go as we expect
--rain
--the beauty if lightning
--Veggie Tales
--Brother and Sister playing and fighting together

No comments:

Post a Comment