August 25, 2011

College Days (or perhaps Daze?!?!?!)

Just returned not too long ago from meeting new students at Lewis Hall and Brown Hall (the dorm formerly known as Memorial Hall).  My, oh my, how the memories came flooding back.  It was 14 years ago that I was moving onto campus, and so much has changed since then!

Back then, we moved in on a Sunday.  Since my dad was preaching at the time, it was a pretty crazy day for us.  Church, then quick lunch, then off we went to college.  I had no email address before I went to college (yes, I am old enough that email wasn't all that "important" at the time), so I'd had very little contact with my roommate before we got there.  Monday was a day for finalizing financial aid, some test with Dr. Richardson, and a quick "orientation".  I can't really remember what happened on Tues, but pretty sure that Wed. we started classes.  It was long enough ago that they actually used a typewriter to make our ID cards....and your student ID number was your social security number! 

There was no Swarm Squad to help us move in, just faculty and staff carrying our stuff up each flight of stairs.  Needless to say, it was a much longer process. I don't remember churches being there the day we moved in, but I am sure they probably were.  And I have to admit, finding a church was probably not one of my highest priorities at the time!

But, to all you college students out there, let me just say, it really is important that you get involved in a local church.  It provides accountability and many opportunities for you to learn from those who are older and wiser than you in many spiritual and practical ways.  I know this from experience.

My first semester of college I don't know that I ever went to the same church twice.  One of the guys I had gotten to be friends with did pulpit supply so I pretty much just went with him each week wherever he was preaching.  My second semester I actually went to the same church most weeks, but nothing more than showing up for the service on Sunday morning.  My next two years were spent traveling most weekends with New Ed and my last year I traveled with Praise Song.  I truly enjoyed those ministries and wouldn't trade them for anything!  I would still do New Ed if I could figure out how to do that as a wife and mother of two!!!  But, when I graduated from college, it was very hard for me to be at the same church two weeks in a row.  It was very hard for me to sit through a service and just listen, just be there.  It was really a struggle for me to sit and learn and not be doing something.  It was hard for me to get involved and really get to know people because I had spent 4 years doing anything but that!  It took almost a year for me to feel even the slightest bit comfortable truly being a part of a church! 

So, all that to say, get in a church.  Find out what they believe, get involved and serve in any way you can!  Ask questions, meet people, and let God bless you as you participate in worship, service, and learning with a church family!

No comments:

Post a Comment