April 26, 2011

He is my rock and my salvation!!!!

April 26, 1986.  That is a day that I will never forget!  That is the day, during a revival, that I walked the aisle and gave my life to Christ.  That had been a rough year for me.  If you read some of my earlier posts, you know that my two best friends had died that January when their house burnt down.  It had been 4 months and my life had been changed forever.  I rarely went outside, didn't play much with other kids, and just generally didn't know what do to with myself.  But, God used that moment to wake me up to the fact that, even at 7 years old, I was not guaranteed another day, another morning, another breath.  He also showed me very clearly that I had no personal relationship with Him, that He was not Lord and Master of my life, and I knew that meant that I was headed straight to Hell.  But the day that I walked the aisle, I walked knowing confidently that He would change everything!  Light was shining in my heart once more and He was taking over!  There are two things that I very clearly remember after that.  First, I went right outside to our little swing set first chance I got, looked at the sky for even the slightest hole in the clouds, and very proudly declared to Georgie and Chantel that Christ was now in my heart and one day I would see them again. (I must admit that now, as an adult, I really have no idea the state of their spiritual lives, but do hold out hope they were both truly saved).  Second, I remember sitting down with the Precious Moments Bible my parents had gotten me for my baptism.  The first verses I remember reading from it were Psalm 30:5, "His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life.  Weeping may endure for the night, but joy comes in the morning."  Wow!  How true those words were for my life in that moment!  Weeping had started on that cold day in January when Georgie and Chantel left this world, but that sweet day in April, joy had come!  Today, as I am celebrating 25 years of knowing my Savior, I read Psalm 30 again, and the last two verses leapt off the page, "You have turned my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, to the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent.  O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever!"  All I can say is, "Hallelujah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment