February 24, 2011

Random Musings...AGAIN!

I must get better at coming up with titles for my posts!  I think people are starting to learn my secret...I'm really not that creative!  I just grab hold of other people's ideas and run with them!  Ok, now you know!  Anyway, just a bunch of random things on my mind today, so I'll share, in no particular order!

--It's snowing again!?!?!?!  Seriously?!?!?!?  Bring back those 60* days we were having last week.  All the sledding and such was fun last time it snowed, but I am over that now.  Ready for some sun, capri pants, flip flops, and time spent outside with the kiddos!
--I am really enjoying the new book our small group is doing.  It's "Family Driven Faith" by Voddie Baucham (I may have spelled his name wrong...sorry!).  Good book for all parents to read.  But, hear me out, he's very opinionated and the chances of anyone agreeing 100% with what he says are slim to none!  I know Kevin and I haven't, but it's been great for making us think about what we do as a family (and a couple) and why we do them.  It has really made us become much more intentional with our children, especially in spending more time in the Word with them in order to have them grounded in the Faith.  We aren't even halfway through, yet, but it's been pretty convicting!  Can't wait to read more!
--We have been going without TV this week, and, not be prideful, but I am doing waaaaay better than I thought I would.  I mean, I love TV!  Especially in the afternoons while folding laundry and vacuuming, etc.  But, I haven't missed it nearly as much as I thought I would.  Really, the only time of the day I have wished I could turn it on is while I am getting dinner ready.  Usually I let the kids watch PBS Kids while I make dinner, but, of course, that wasn't an option this week.  Man, has our tiny little kitchen been full while cooking dinner this week.  At one point, I had to push everyone out just so I could move around in there!  I must admit, however, it was still pretty fun!  We're trying really hard to watch what the kids are seeing an hearing (especially Sophie since she seems to have a photographic memory at the moment) and this was just one way to do that.  Don't know if we'll keep up with no TV, but I know we will come up with some kind schedule (I was going to say restriction, but that sounds so negative!) in order to watch less of it than normal! 
--I discovered Pandora this week while abstaining from TV.  I have really enjoyed it!  I actually play it through the computer that runs the TV so I can get it nice and loud!  Ok, not that loud, Kevin's office is attached to the living room and he does have to work, but I can turn it up louder than I could the laptop, so it has been nice.  Anyone know of a similar service that provides an unlimited number of listening hours each month for no cost?  I know, I am cheap!  But hey, you gotta save money where you can, right?
--March will mark one year that we have been following the principles we have learned through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University.  I have to be honest and say that we aren't super strict about it, but it has been good for us.  I think we are spending less in most areas than we were before, which is good.  And, we now set aside money for date nights, which we never did before....now...if we would actually ever have a date night!  ;) 
--One of the things I found convicting in "Family Driven Faith" was where he talked about carving out time just for you and your spouse.  He said it's good to get away once in awhile just the two of you, no kids.  Wow!  I have always thought that would be nice, but never thought about actually doing it.  But, it makes total sense.  How can you run your home together if you're totally out of touch with each other because it's been months since you had a real conversation?!?!?!  Anyway, Kevin and I will be working to have at least one weekend away from the kids at some point this year.  It's a must!!!!!!!
--Must.have.lots.of.dental.work.done!  Did  mention I hate the dentist?  Not looking forward to the visits or to handing out that much money!  I may need to get a job just to support my teeth!  ;)
--I just have to say it again....snow?!?!?!  Really?!?!?!  GO AWAY!!!!!
--Sophie starts school in the fall.  How is this possible?  Will she really be 5 in April?  It seems like just yesterday we were standing in Lauren and Kevin's bathroom in Austin staring at a pregnancy test, speechless over the fact that it was positive!  Where did the time go!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  Honestly, I am scared to death about sending her to school.  I am totally worried about what she'll be hearing and seeing.  But, God is in control and I must place her in His hands at all times.  She's safer there, anyway!  I will, however, appreciate any prayers of protection over her and her mind in the next 12 or so years!
--I made a new schedule for the kids and I last week.  It's a very loose, easy-flowing schedule, and it's working really well so far!  Thank you, Lord, for helping me find a balance and being able to stick to it!  I've even gotten some exercise everyday!!!  Yay!  Amazing how much that makes you feel better and improves your mood, too!

Well, I guess that's enough for now!  I'll see you all later...if inspiration strikes again!

No comments:

Post a Comment