February 10, 2011

College Days

So, as I was thinking of my time in college, I was really shown how much God really took care of me and provided for me.  He had a plan all along, even though I couldn't see it and at times wanted nothing to do with anything other than my plan, regardless of how dumb it may have been.  Just so you know, this post is very nostalgic and if you weren't there, will probably bore you to tears.  You may not want to waste any more time reading further down the page!  I won't be offended at all!

Freshman Year:
I entered college in the fall of 1997.  Yes, it does seem like it was a millennium ago!  For the first two weeks it felt like church camp, but then reality finally started setting in.  I was an education major (yes, let out that chuckle, I think it's pretty funny, too!), but also on a theatre scholarship, so I was in Players, Acting 1, and College Theatre Studio.  My days were filled with lots of drama, as I was even more the drama queen then than I am now (imagine Sophie, only 18!)  I met some of the best friends I have ever and will ever have.  They truly seem like family.  I've never been so stupid and dumb about boys in my life.  I have no idea what happened to my brain.  I mean, I've never been super smart, but I was never boy crazy or willing to shut off common sense for a guy....well, not until I started college anyway!  Praise God He gave me friends with wisdom beyond their years and a heart for me that still doesn't make sense!  God kept me out of what could have been some scary situations, and I thank Him for that.  I think the best part of freshmen year was the "saga of the Acting 1 journals."  You see, in Acting 1 we were required to keep a journal of things we observed  or heard, or whatever, that could help us as actors later.  As an actor, one of your greatest assets is the skill of observation.  Well, as most of us did with Bible journals, we saved up all our journal entries until the night before they were due.  So, we spent half the night at Country Kitchen (those cinnamon rolls were to die for, right, Kevin Allen?) and the other half at Steak-N-Shake writing them.  Of course, we didn't stop to think that we were all writing about all the same things, and telling quite the story of the "illegal" relationships currently going on or just ended (those in the same ministry teams were not allowed to date)...and of course...when Weast read them, was able to put the whole story together pretty quickly.  I'll never forget the warning she wrote, directed at all of us, in my journal.  "Remember, you are not allowed to date within the group."  I was terrified she was going to kick me out!

I think the worst, non-guy moment (and there were plenty!) happened either just before or just after the start of the spring semester.  Weast decided to move 4 freshmen up to New Ed, and I was not one of them.  Truth be told, New Ed was really the only reason I wanted to attend HLG, and that I ultimately chose it over other schools.  I had been watching New Ed perform since I was in elementary school and loved them every time I saw them.  I wasn't totally sure what I wanted to do with my life, but I knew that I wanted to be in New Ed.  I was crushed when she chose those 4 for two reasons.  One reason was that I was just starting to be good friends with the two girls she moved up and now I would hardly ever see them because they would be gone pretty much every weekend.  The other reason was way more selfish.  I just wanted to be in the group!  I wanted that spot!  That was, after all, why I came here!  Why were they chosen and not me?  I knew I wasn't the best actress on campus, but I also wasn't the worst and I just didn't get it.  I moped for weeks, trying to hide it so no one would know how terribly selfish or hurt I was.  I still don't know exactly why I wasn't chosen that year, but that turned out to be good, too, because talk about a group of personalities!  Pretty sure they would have eaten my lunch and I would have been totally miserable.  In fact, the summer that group traveled together is "lovingly" referred to as the summer from Hades by anyone who knew even one member of that group!  Thank you Lord for unanswered prayers!  He knew what he was doing all along.  Thank you for Weast listening to you and thank you for sparing me a lot of pain!

This post is already too long, so over the next few weeks I'll fill you in on my other years (not that you asked me to!)

1 comment:

  1. I don't think this is boring at all. I like stories, and I enjoy learning more about you. :)

    ReplyDelete