December 22, 2010

I have no title for this post...

So, when I was at my mom's a few weeks ago, I borrowed a few books from her, hoping I would get the chance to read them.  They were all pretty short, and during bath times, naps, etc, I have actually been able to read all three of them!  Yay!  I just finished the last one today (between Ethan's puking episodes) called Rachel's Prayer by Leisha Kelley.  After reading it, I am pretty sure this is a series and I now feel that I must look into it further so I can read the other books...pretty sure this one isn't the first one and now I need to know what happened in the other books!  Anyway, this book is set in IL just as the US has entered into WW II.  However, this family lives out in the country, has no electricity and none of those frivolous things of that time period.  As I was reading, it was really hard to think of it as the 1940's because everything seemed so Little House on the Prairie to me.  It got me really thinking!  They were growing all their own food, sewing all their own clothes, all their neighbors were truly family, and I actually found myself envying their lives!  What in the world!?!?!?!?!?  Then I got to thinking....for a vacation some year, I wish there was a place where the family could go for a week and each day of that week we live just as they would have in a different era.  Monday could be the early 1800's, Tuesday the late 1800's, Wed. the early 1900's and so on.  I think it would give a good few of what our early Americans felt like, and I think it would be a real eye opener to all the blessings we truly have today.  I'm not sure I could make through one entire day, even as they lived in the 40's, because there are just so many things I can't do, but it sure would be fun to try!!!!!  Not much depth in this post, but thought I'd just share what I was thinking!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a lot of the appeal of today's Amish fiction as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like the best vacation EVER! Are we theatre people? Maybe... ;)

    ReplyDelete