October 14, 2010

The Lord Will Provide

This week in our worship service at CBC we will be focusing on Jesus as the lamb.  We will be doing this in the worship music and through the ordinances of baptism and The Lord's Supper.  As I was thinking of this, my mind was drawn back to a study that the ladies in our SS class did a few years ago.  It was called "I Want to Know You" by Kay Arthur and focused on some of the names of God.  The one that I was reminded of this week was Jehovah-Jireh, meaning the Lord will Provide.  The first time we see this name is Gen. 22:1-19 in the story where God has asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac.  When God provides the lamb in Isaac's place, Abraham named the place where he sacrificed that lamb "The Lord Will Provide".  You see, never in my life had I ever really heard anyone talk about Jehovah-Jireh in any sense other than that He  provides for all our earthly needs: health, finances, other resources.  How selfish and prideful is it to think that His name is so focused in me and my needs alone? It was so eye opening to see that the name was given in such an instance that so blatantly points to Christ as our sacrificial lamb, paying a price we never could and receiving our punishment.  It is only because Christ was the lamb in our place that we can have our sins forgiven and have a relationship and eternal life with Christ.  Now, don't get me wrong, He does provide for all those daily, earthly, temporal needs (even when we don't think He's doing so), but the most important thing He provided was Christ as a lamb to cover our sins.  He provided salvation for us!  Wow!  One of the points she makes in the chapter is, "Within limits, people can provide for everything they need while they live, but they can't provide for death.  For death, there is only one provider, Jehovah-Jireh.  Jehovah, who in Himself possesses essential life, is the only One who can make provision for us as sinners to live.  He did so by providing us with the Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world.  How fitting it is, then, that the first time we see God as our Jehovah-Jireh we see a father offering his only son on Mount Moriah.  Love, worship, and obedience become three in one!"  Again, I say wow!  That pretty much blows my mind and makes me so ashamed to think that I had spent so much of my life thinking of this life-changing name of God in such a shallow way!  Lord, forgive me for not seeing the whole truth in Your name and for missing out on so much time to praise and honor and thank You, by name, for giving me salvation through the Lamb of God!  Thank You for the reminder today that Jehovah-Jireh provides so much more than money, food, clothes, and health!

No comments:

Post a Comment