April 09, 2010

It Takes Me Back

I am sitting here in our living room lost in memories because of one small smell in the room. You see, this morning, someone brought over a DVR that had been in a fire in the last day or so for Kevin to see if he could get any data off of it. The DVR reeked of that house on fire, yet covered in water smell. If you have ever been near a house fire after the Fire Dept. has been there, you know what I am talking about. However, for me, that is one of the few smells that drowns me in memories and makes me instantly sick to my stomach all at the same time.

When I was about 7 our best friends were killed when their house caught on fire. Shortly after the fire, the fire dept. allowed us to walk through the house. You guessed it, the smell filling me house today is the smell that filled Georgie and Chantel's house that day we walked through it. In fact, the whole neighborhood was filled with that smell for like a week. Anytime I smell it I am instantly transported back to their home, walking through their halls. Walking through their rooms, which were once vibrant, white, and pink, but were now gray and black and in pieces. It was one of the worst times of my life. I don't think I went outside for weeks after that. I mean, we did everything with Georgie and Chantel, and suddenly, they were gone. Of course, at the same time, when I think of that time, I just have to praise God! You see, we were actually gone when the fire occurred. It was one of the rare times when my preacher father was at a conference or something, so we were at my grandparents house instead of at home, where we would have had to look on helplessly as our best friends perished. It was also as a direct result of this loss of life that I realized I needed new life, true life, that can only be found in Jesus Christ. If not for this event, I have no idea how long it would have taken me to realize that I am not guaranteed tomorrow and that without a relationship with him, I would be going to Hell and eternal separation from God! Amazing how He can bring something so good and sweet from an experience so sad and tragic! Thank you, LORD, for your protection, love, and new life!

No comments:

Post a Comment