February 24, 2010

Can you help?

So, Kevin and I are trying to decide whether we want to put Sophie in a pre-school next year, or try and do some school type stuff with her at home. I am really torn. If we do pre-school, we know which one we would go with...but...when I look at the cost, I just think that surely I could teach her most of what she would learn there without spending all that money. I was wondering if any of my teacher friends and home school mom friends maybe had some ideas on websites or projects and things that I could be doing with her next year. Also, especially those of you that home school, what kind of schedule works for you in doing those kinds of things. I am thinking she won't do anything for more than 15-30 minutes at a time and I don't want her whole day to be "school"...plus...I'll have a 15 month old running around the house, as well...so any of the "schooling" would have to be done while Ethan is sleeping. Sophie can write pretty much all of her letters, sound out three letter words (when they don't have weird "rule breakers" in them), count to 40, draw most shapes...but we haven't really done anything with math (because I HATE math) or science. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

1 comment:

  1. We kept our girls home-shcooled on the premise that, until high school (or maybe Jr. High), there's nothing they need to know that we can't teach 'em. By age five we did send ours to a two-days-a-week "Wee Care" at a local church.

    Sounds like you've pretty much nailed the schedule thingy, considering the young one's nap-time. And with a 1-to-1 teacher/pupil ratio, Sophie will learn in 20 minutes what would take half a day at pre-school.

    ReplyDelete